Timothy James

Timothy James

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Perspectives, pt. 2 - Thurs, Morning

Monday evening, as I drove home for the first time, I realized that something had happened while I had spent those days in the hospital rooms. The much anticipated Vermont fall foliage change finally happened. The day I came home was the peak of the colors. I was overcome by the brilliance of the colors as they stood in contrast to the dull pastels I had experienced in the hospital. My perspective had changed. My world had been limited by what I was seeing, but the reality was the world around me was filled with a vibrant explosion of color.

One week ago, I was looking into the eyes of my newborn son for the first time. My eyes were filled with joy, and I had no idea of the testing that I was about to see. This morning, the Lord brought me to the second part of what He is teaching me about perspectives. Psalm 34:5-7 says,

5
Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him
and saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the LORD(L) encamps
around those who fear him, and delivers them.

As I read this section, I noticed what is so instrumental in the life of the Christian. The walk of faith. David states that the those who exercise their faith, "look to Him..." are radiant. That is present tense, looking intently. They can look right now because of the times they had cried out in times past and the Lord "heard" them and they had been rescued. They realize that the Lord is encamped around them, because as I mentioned yesterday God's perspective doesn't change. He is always watching over us.

All too often, there is much misunderstanding about the walk of faith. Walking in faith is not believing something hard enough to make it happen. The walk of faith involves knowing God's faithfulness in the past and knowing His constant character of goodness, gives us confidence to cling to future hope in Him for the present trials. Sometimes this past week, I did great in remembering this, other times, I didn't fare so well. Fortunately, the body of Christ was around me when I was weakening and reminded me of God's faithfulness.

As we look down the path, we can see the finish line of this race in sight. I pray that I will remember that just because this race may come to an end, that I will not forget that this race is also training for the next one. Thank you for your faithfulness in praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment