Timothy James

Timothy James

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Dealing with Disappointment

Ten… You are ten… one decade… so much has changed in ten years.  What happened to nine! One thing you might have noticed is that I did not write a post for #9.  Year number nine was a hard year for everyone, but definitely for our family.  Year nine was a year of major transition.  We moved to Abilene, we bought our first house, I started teaching, then suddenly had to change school campuses.  I was thrust into working with kids at a disciplinary school, all the while learning how to be a teacher during a world-wide pandemic.  It was not what we had expected or planned.  But we survived.  

 

Here we are in year 10 and you are growing up fast.  You are no longer a little boy.  You are a big boy soon to be a young man.  By this time in your life, you have known quite a few disappointments.  Disappointments come when we have plans in our minds that don’t come through.  Sometimes we have good intentions, sometimes our intentions are simply self-serving.  Regardless, what we have planned doesn’t always work out as we want.  I think therein lies the problem.  God may have other plans that take us in a different direction.  Because you are my son, I know that when things don’t work out, you get upset.  Some things don’t work out because you planned foolishly.  Some times, things don’t work out because others failed to follow through with what they committed to.  But most times, things do go as we plan because God has other plans.  God’s way are always better and higher than our ways. (cf. Is. 55:8).

 

Remember this, people will disappoint you… even the ones you love the most will disappoint you.  But, you too will disappoint others.  Lean into Christ.  He is the One that will never disappoint you.  

 

“The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.” - Proverbs 16:9

 

Tim, use your time wisely.  Make good decisions with your time and money.  Live within your means so you can give the most important ones in your life the best of your time.  Make good Bible guided plans.  But more importantly, stay tuned to what God desires for you.  They may not always line up with your plan, but they’ll always take you down the path that will build you up and glorify God.  I have cried so many tears wishing I was a better daddy, wishing I could have been there more for you.  My plans seldom worked out perfectly, but I know that God's plans will work out perfectly.  If you let Him guide you, you will NEVER be disappointed. 

 

I don’t say it enough.  I am proud of what I see you growing in to and I love you so much.  Happy 10th Birthday.

No comments: